The results of this Placement Test will determine your current language level and enable us to form homogenous groups for you or your staff as well as select appropriate training materials. Simply select your answer and then click on the Score button at the end to see how many points you scored!
The test is also available in hard copy and can be sent or mailed to you.
1. …. is a new secretary in our department.
It Their There They
2. He is … .
a clerk any clerk clerk one clerk
3. Are … customers happy?
that they this those
4. Give the letter … .
theirs them they to them
5. They can go to … canteen for lunch.
our ours us yours
6. Whose is that computer disk? It’s … .
for her her hers to her
7. I think Miss Miller has received … money.
a any none some
8. There aren’t … people at the meeting.
a lot lots many much
9. She’s got … faxes still to type.
a few a little little a number
10. … sent that letter to him?
Where Who Whom Why
11. … did you put the documents?
What Where Who Whose
12. … your father?” “Fine, thanks”.
How’s Where’s Who’s Why’s
13. That car is not as old … this one is.
as how like than
14. Because of the last accident he works … .
more careful much careful very careful very carefully
15. Last month was the … sales result so far.
baddest most bad worse worst
16. My wife … coffee at the moment.
are making is making make makes
17. … he take the train at the same time every morning?
Has Is Do Does
18. … she going to visit the factory tomorrow?
Aren’t Isn’t Doesn’t Weren’t
19. The production manager … to travel to Paris soon.
had has have having
20. Did your colleague want … the annual report?
me see me to see that I see me seeing
21. We’d really like … to the show tonight.
you come you should come you will come you to come
22. You … the documents before going home.
ought file ought to file should filing should to file
23. Were you in Amsterdam last week? No I … .
don’t didn’t wasn’t weren’t
24. He … the ferry to Dover yesterday.
has missed missed misses was missing
25. … all the jobs last Friday?
Have you completed Did you complete Did you completed Were you completing
26. She’ll call you up when she … the details.
gets is getting will get will be getting
27. When he was a child, he … in Vienna for ten years.
has been living has lived had lived lived
28. Is the patient still here? He was here five minutes ago. Who … for then?
does he wait he waited has he waited was he waiting
29. If we … the examination, we’ll celebrate with champagne.
pass past will pass would pass
30. They’ve read about the film but they … it yet.
don’t see didn’t saw haven’t seen weren’t seeing
31. The Chairman is arriving … 10 a.m.
at in on to
32. This is a good piece … artwork. You’ve got the contract.
– of off with
33. It’s time to leave now. All the staff are coming … the office.
in out off out of
34. It is essential that the order is ready … time.
at by for on
35. Jane … the office after 9 o’clock.
arrived to entered at got to reached at
36. Is the tour party looking … the new building?
at of on to
37. Mary is listening … the latest news.
at of on to
38. What’s the matter … that customer today?
by from to with
39. The result depends … the marketing plan.
at by on to
40. They usually spend too much time … organisation.
at by on with
41. Why do you always insist … making decisions alone?
on over to with
42. The foreman told us to concentrate … the job.
at in on to
43. There is a big need … this component … the market.
for / at for / on on / at off / in
44. The product is constructed … our parts … that factory.
in / with from / on with / at over / by
45. The bank clerk asked … a raise … salary.
for / with to / for – / of for / in
46. Why didn’t he make them … the task?
complete completing completed to complete
47. They didn’t tell us the elevator … be repaired.
has going to had been going to was going to will be going to
48. The vehicle is … a lot of petrol, isn’t it?
employing having needing using
49. We were astonished when the interpreter asked us if we’d mind … a moment.
for waiting that we wait waiting to wait
50. I’d rather not … the authorities about it.
tell telling to tell you tell
51. That factory is in a bad condition. It … for years.
hasn’t been painting hasn’t been painted isn’t painted wasn’t been painted
52. When the bank … last year, the police were already waiting.
has been broken int had been broken into broke into was broken into
53. It got so late that, by the time I reached the docks at 10:30, the 10 o’clock boat … .
departed has departed had departed was departed
54. When we entered the office, John … on the computer so hard that he didn’t notice us.
has been working has worked was working worked
55. If I won a lot of money I … my job and retire.
gave up give up will give up would give up
56. If Mary hadn’t been so surprised, she … the car.
didn’t crash hadn’t crashed wouldn’t crash wouldn’t have crashed
57. When Cynthia saw the consultant, she explained where and how she … her arm.
has broken had been breaking had broken was breaking
58. While the presentation … place, the audience was distracted by low flying aircraft.
takes took has taken was taking
59. If you really wanted a car, it … a good idea to check the newspaper ads.
is was will be would be
60. When the goods … please make a bank transfer to the client.
are delivered will delivered will be delivered will have been delivered
You have scored Points.
With the score you have just achieved we can choose a suitable course for you. You can also send us your result by E-Mail, we will then contact you promptly.
Click below to clear your entries.
Company Name (required)
Your Name (required)
Send us your pricelist
In-House Language Training Business English/Other languagesHelp DeskWorkshops/SeminarsBEC Cambridge ExaminationsMarketing films/VoiceoversIntercultural TrainingCourses in EnglandTranslations
I would like to arrange a meeting to discuss training options